Marriage License

You are here: Home » Departments » Clerk » Marriage License

Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Iron County Clerk’s Office, located at: 68 S 100 E – Parowan, Utah.

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Both parties must appear at the Clerk’s Office with proof of age, proper photo identification, and pay a license fee of $30.00 by check, cash, money order or credit/debit card. The license fee is non-refundable. Other requirements are listed below.

Both parties need to be present with required documents. A marriage license is then issued and becomes effective immediately but must be used within 30 days from the date of purchase, at which time the license expires. Refunds and extensions cannot be given. A license issued in Iron County may be used in any county in the State of Utah.

A marriage license may be issued by the County Clerk after the applicants provide the following required information:

  • Full names, including the maiden name of the female
  • Social security numbers, unless the applicant has not been assigned a number
  • Current addresses
  • Date and place of birth (town or city, county, state or country, if possible)
  • Names of respective parents, including the maiden name of the mother
  • Birthplaces of fathers and mothers (state or country)
  • Race of applicants
  • One form of ID such as a driver’s license or passport. If using a birth certificate, a photo ID is also required
  • Divorce decree signed by the Judge if your divorce was final in the last 60 days

Applicants under the age of 18 years of age are required to have:

  • If the applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must be present to sign consent.
  • If the applicant is 15 years of age, an authorization to marry must be provided by a juvenile judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides. The written authorization may also be obtained from a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council. Please contact our office for a form. (Section 30-1-9 Marriage by Minors)
  • Applicants 14 years of age and younger cannot obtain a marriage license under Utah law.

Licenses are valid for 30 days from date of issue and may be used anywhere within the State of Utah. The license remains the property of Iron County and must be returned to the County Clerk after the marriage is solemnized or not solemnized.

The person performing the ceremony will be responsible to complete the Marriage Certificate and the Marriage License.

After the ceremony you will receive the Marriage Certificate. The person performing the marriage is responsible for returning the Marriage License to the Clerk’s Office within 30 days of the marriage. After the Marriage License is returned to the office, a certified copy will be mailed to you in the envelope you address in our office. The certified copy of your Marriage License is your official proof of marriage.

If the bride plans on changing her last name, the Social Security office and the Drivers License Division will want to see the certified copy of the Marriage License. The Social Security office and the Drivers License Division are the two main places but you may need to go to banks, insurance companies, etc. Most people will just need to see the certified copy, but they generally do not need to keep the copy.

If you do need a certified copy in the future, we will always file the original marriage license in our office. Certified copies are $6.00 for each copy.

Any ordained minister who is at least 18 years of age, Native American spiritual advisors, the Governor, Mayors, Justices of the Peace, Judges, County Clerks, President of the Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives, retired Judges or Magistrates, U.S. Judges or Magistrates may perform weddings.

Show Comments