Iron County offers an online traffic school course for moving violations issued by:
- Utah Highway Patrol
- Iron County Sheriff’s Office
- City of Enoch Police Department
- Brian Head Marshal’s Office
- Cedar City Police Department
SUU Police Department provides their own “in-person” Traffic School. You still sign up with the Justice Court, following the steps below. However, one additional step is required, in which you contact them directly at SUU Police at (435) 586-1911. Enrollment cost = $50.00, class must be attended in person.
If you are charged with 26 MPH or above the posted limit, or a class B misdemeanor moving violation you are not eligible for traffic school.
If you possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you are not eligible for traffic school.
For ALL citations issued in Iron County, please perform the following steps:
- You must call the Iron County Justice Court at (435) 865-5335 to enroll in a Plea in Abeyance Agreement for Traffic School.
- You must pay your fine amount, plus a $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee at signup.
- You must sign and return the Plea in Abeyance form and the Rights/Instructions form within 10 days.
3a. Scanned copies or cell phones pictures acceptable if emailed or faxed.
- You must sign up for online traffic school, pay the required fee ($39.99) and complete the course within 30 days.
4a. For SUU: You must sign up directly with the SUU Police Department and pay the required fee ($50.00).
- We will check your driving record after 90 days. If there are no more citations and you’ve complied with all other conditions of your Plea in Abeyance Agreement, your charge will be dismissed.
- 1-10 MPH OVER LIMIT – $120.00 fine + $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee = $145.00*
- 11-15 MPH OVER LIMIT – $150.00 fine + $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee = $175.00*
- 16-20 MPH OVER LIMIT – $200.00 fine + $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee = $225.00*
- 21-25 MPH OVER LIMIT – $270.00 fine + $25.00 Plea in Abeyance fee = $295.00*
*Speeding fines in construction zones and school zones may be higher. Check bail schedule for exact amounts.
Court Payment Information
Once you’ve enrolled in traffic school you may pay the fine by:
- Credit or debit card by calling (435) 261-7571. There is a 2.5% fee to pay by credit and debit cards. Please have your case number before calling.
- Cash payments can be made at the Iron County Justice Court from 8:00am to 4:00pm.
- Make cashier’s check or money order payable to the Iron County Justice Court at 82 N 100 E #101, Cedar City, UT 84720
Frequently Asked Questions
I received a traffic citation and paid it. Can I still take traffic school?
No. Once you’ve paid the fine, your charge has gone “of record.”
If I take traffic school, do I still have to pay my fine?
Yes. Traffic school costs are not in lieu of the above mentioned fine and Plea in Abeyance fee.
I have signed and returned all of the paperwork, paid my fine and fees and completed traffic school. What happens now?
You must abide by any other requirements in the Plea in Abeyance, which includes maintaining a clean driving record and not receiving any more citations on a state or local level for 3-months from the day you return your Plea in Abeyance agreement signed. Your citation will be dismissed at the end of your 3-month probation period, once compliance to these terms has been established.
Will I be notified by the court when my charge has been dismissed?
The Iron County Justice Court WILL NOT send you confirmation that your case has been dismissed. If you have any questions with any of this information, please call the Iron County Justice Court (435) 865-5335.
I paid my fine and Plea in Abeyance fee, but I never completed traffic school. What will happen to my case?
After your 3-month probation period ends you will receive a notice in the mail with a sentencing date for your case. This is your chance to appear before our judge and provide proof of compliance with the Plea in Abeyance agreement. If you do not provide sufficient proof of compliance for the judge to dismiss your charge, or if you do not show up for your court date, your charge will go of record and your case will be closed. No warrant will be issued unless payment of your fine has not been received by the court.
For any additional questions or help registering, contact the Justice Court: